Friday, May 23, 2014

"You say grace before meals. All right. But I say grace before the concert and the opera, and grace before the play and pantomime, and grace before I open a book, and grace before sketching, painting, swimming, fencing, boxing, walking, playing, dancing and grace before I dip the pen in the ink." -G.K Chesterton (writer)



This quote reminded me of two things, one was my childhood and my Dad gathering us together to pray as a family before going on a trip together, or a special event like one of my siblings graduation, etc...we always prayed as a family before meals and before bedtime, but i think it was those prayers at other times that made me realize that Heavenly Father listened to our prayers always.   The second instance this quote reminded me of was when i was a missionary riding my bike with a companion to a town many miles away.  My companion insisted we take a busy highway to get there, so i prayed and prayed as we rode that we wouldn't cause an accident as trucks and cars were swerving around us.  Maybe halfway through our ride my companion agreed that we should find a safer route...so we took a more rural road the rest of the way. As we were accounting this episode to a family we were teaching they said to me, "oh i bet you were glad you were on a safer road and could stop praying..." My reply was, "Oh i kept praying, but it was a prayer of gratitude the rest of the way!"

No comments:

Post a Comment